The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Shingles ? Please help, suffering.
Feb 25, 2001

I recently had unprotected sex , i am a female. i know it was stupid , but i was drinking, no excuse. I did not know this man very well, but he was nice , seemed healthy and claimed he used to be pre-med. About seven days after the incident, I developed a burning ,prickly sensation on my lower thigh . The area covered a circumference of about 5 inches. I would have intermitant stabbing pain in one spot within that burning area. the skin was very sensitive to the touch and when manipulated , felt somewhat painful. This went on for a few days, I am writing to you on the 3rd day of this problem. So far no rash or vesicles have erupted , and it seems to be subsiding somewhat but is still there. I didnt have a fever as far as I know, posssibly a mild one, and no flu like symptoms. He told me that he used zovirax for a quarter sized spot of rash that appeared on his thigh every so often and has been happening for 16 years. I believe he is suffering from shingles and I may have caught this. Please tell me what you think of this, thank you so kindly.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Actually, what you have sounds more like herpes simplex-- a related virus-- than shingles. See a doctor for a definitive diagnosis. If/when viesicles appear, they can be tested for these 2 viruses (HSV and VZV). You may also benefit from acyclovir (Zovirax) or a similar medication.

Is pneumonia a sign of hiv
nephrotic syndrome and HIV?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint