Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Is pneumonia a sign of hiv

I've been involved in a monogomous relationship for 2 years. Before this relationship I had unprotected sex with 2 individuals. I recently went to the ER because I had a fever and I was having difficulty breathing. I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia. I'm 17. Is it normal for a person my age to catch such a disease? I'm worried because, although I had an hiv test done about a year ago, I never went to see the results. If the test was positive would the hospital have to contact me? I know I should probably be tested again, but I'm nervous because I read that pneumonia often brings people to the doctor where they are then diagnosed with hiv. Also, I have a 17 month old son, by the person i have been involved with for the last 2 years. If he were infected with hiv, wouldn't he be very sick right now?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Pneumonia is a common infection in both HIV-s and +s, but HIV+ people are more likely to get frequent recurrences of pneumonia. The kind of pneumonia that brings people to the doctor that is commonly connected with HIV is a special kind of pneumonia called "PCP". It doesn't sound like you have PCP. For peace of mind I suggest you get retested and return for the results this time. Babies born with HIV usually get sick before they are 18 months old, but not always.

Is hidradenitis suppurativa associated with HIV?
Shingles ? Please help, suffering.