Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

pml

Dear Judith Feinberg

Is there anything new about the treatment for pml in hiv patients? my friend came down with pml in october 1999. She is still living, with servere difficulties with walking, using her left hand and som eye and speech problems. Sheis on haart - and still hoping for recovery. Can you give her any new hope?

Thank you

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I'm not sure that I can. Being on a HAART regimen that she responds to is the most important thing. There is some evidence that the drug cidofovir which is used for CMV retinitis may be helpful, although a recent non-randomized study did not show striking benefit. I wish I could tell you something more cheerful.

sex drive
End-stage and various OI's