Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recently Exposed with questions
Feb 24, 2001

Hi, Needless to say like everyone else I am not dealing with the fact I was exposed to HIV and have several signs and symptoms as I await me results. On Jan 5th I was exposed through anal receptive unprotected sex and from the jan 5th - 29th several unprotected anal insertive encounters. I found out my BF was HIV positive on Jan 30th. His viral load is 96,800. I tested on Feb 1 for Elisa/WB both negative and a viral load test which was "undetected." I have been very anxious and nervous, sleeping very little and have had weakness along with a cough and nasal congestion. All which are getting better. With the most of the risky sex being on the 5th, is it ok to say I may not have caught HIV from the receptive, yet still am at risk for the insertive? When is the best time to re-test. Would a PCR-Q test benifit me now at post 22 days from last risky exposure? Is it possible not to be infected at all?

thx sleepless, scared & misdirected

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It is possible to get HIV from both receptive and insertive anal intercourse, although you are correct that being the receptive partner is riskier (more tissue damage, therefore greater likelihood of contact between HIV in ejaculate to your blood). However, it is still on the early side to know if any of these encounters gave you HIV. You should get retested at 3 months (and the CDC says to get retested at 6, just to be 100% sure). HIV viral load is not truly a diagnostic test and can be falsely positive. Of course, it is possible that you got lucky and aren't infected at all. However: don't do such dumb things again, or you may indeed become infected!! You know better.

Previous
PCP- fungi ?
Next
Astma patient

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.