Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

recommend drug therapy

when would you recommend HIV drug therapy (I've had HIV for three months)

Response from Dr. Feinberg

(1) When someone's T cell count is low enough to cause concern (the current recommendation is less than 350 CD4 cells) (2) When someone has had an AIDS-defining illness regardless of CD4 cel count (3) When someone has a very high viral load regardless of CD4 cell count, (4) when HIV had been diagnosed in the process of or soon after seroconversion, and (5-- and probably most important) When the person is ready to take medication and is committed to to doing it right. These are the yardsticks I go buy in discussing treatment with patients.

opportunistic infection
test