Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Am I infected?

Dr. Feinberg, before i ask my question, let me say thank you for taking time out of your day to answer our questions, i feel safe in saying its a great help to all of us, now, onto my question. Way back in 1985 or 1986 i did a foolish thing, i had unprotected vaginal intercourse, all i do remember was that it was very brief, no more than 30 seconds tops. Although i knew it was wrong, it never worried me, i did have an HIV test<negative> but, i cannot remember if it was before or after the act itself. A few years later i heard a doctor on the radio say that fever was a telltale sign of hiv infection, since that moment i've lived in panic mode. I know the only way i'm going to resolve this fear is getting myself retested, based on what i told you about the act and the time involved i'm just wondering what you think about me possibly being infected or not, thanks for your time

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Since your unprotected intercourse was so long ago and you don't say that you have any symptoms, you are probably not infected. However, as you say, you won't feel 100% reassured until you see those negtaive results, so I urge you to do it for peace of mind.

what is hpv
Treatment of pcp