Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

CORRECT INFORMATION ABOUT HIV TESTING?

my doctor told me that the reason the CDC wants people to test at 6 months not just at 3 is because they want high risk people to keep being tested.

My doctor insists that after 14 weeks a negative test is final. He has been practising for over 30yrs and has had 8 aids patients under his care. He said that the odds that someone tests positive after 3 months is 1 in a million.

In your long career how many people have you known to test positive at 6 months after a negative at 3 months? Don't quote the CDC give me the benefit of your personal experience.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I work almost exclusively with people who are already infected, so I don't do a lot of HIV testing except for the occasional partner. The vast majority of people do seroconvert within 3 months, but it has been documented to take longer in some individuals-- that's why the CDC recommends retesting at this time if you're still negative.

By the way, 8 patients with AIDS isn't zero, but it isn't a wealth of experience either. I think you'd do better to abide by the CDC's recommendations, just in case.

Petechiae and liver
what is hpv