Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

treating anal warts

hello Dr. Feinberg! I am a 32 y/o gay male who has been living with HIV for ten yrs with no complications. Recently I have been diagnosed with anal warts and have went through fogalization treatments twice. The warts return very quickly. How difficult is it to treat and get rid of anal warts in HIV + adults? Will I be plauged by them forever!!?? Please help!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Anogenital warts can be very difficult to control. In addition to fulguration, there are other kinds of treatment that also rely on a destructive process to get rid of the warts. There is a topical medicine called imiquimod (Aldara) which, in my experience, works best when the warts are small in size and few in number. Perhaps it would be useful to try this approach right after fulguration (or other destructive treatment) to see if you can control them in this more comfortable way at home. You don't say whether you are on anti_HIV treatment, but the better your HIV is controlled, the better your immune system can help control these other problems.

what does a + blood test for CMV meean?
Petechiae and liver