Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

treating anal warts
Feb 24, 2001

hello Dr. Feinberg! I am a 32 y/o gay male who has been living with HIV for ten yrs with no complications. Recently I have been diagnosed with anal warts and have went through fogalization treatments twice. The warts return very quickly. How difficult is it to treat and get rid of anal warts in HIV + adults? Will I be plauged by them forever!!?? Please help!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Anogenital warts can be very difficult to control. In addition to fulguration, there are other kinds of treatment that also rely on a destructive process to get rid of the warts. There is a topical medicine called imiquimod (Aldara) which, in my experience, works best when the warts are small in size and few in number. Perhaps it would be useful to try this approach right after fulguration (or other destructive treatment) to see if you can control them in this more comfortable way at home. You don't say whether you are on anti_HIV treatment, but the better your HIV is controlled, the better your immune system can help control these other problems.

Previous
what does a + blood test for CMV meean?
Next
Petechiae and liver

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.