Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

symptoms/experimental hiv test
Mar 25, 2002

hello, last week i passed a kidney stone and after x-ray and a cat scan i was informed that i had an enlarged spleen. I also have swollen lymph glands and low platelets along with a 4.0 white cell count. The following day i tested reactive to a 20 minute experimental hiv blood test (claiming 98 accuracy) and also took a western blot which will not be ready until next week. Also, is there anything at all that would cause a rective response to an hiv blood test whether or not it is experimental or western blot? thank you

Response from Dr. Feinberg

A number of rapid HIV tests are being developed; some are more accurate than others. Since I don't know which experimental test you took, I can't give you any specific data about the accuracy (sensitivity and specificity, in medical terms), but in general these tests are more likely to miss an HIV-infected person that to say someone is HIV positive when they really aren't. There are no medicines or vaccinations or other kinds of treatment that will cause an HIV test to be inaccurate. Your other test results certainly indicate that something is amiss-- they are consistent with HIV but could also be consistent with other disease states. All you can do now is wait for the western blot results and try to relax as best you can. Good luck!

Previous
Opportunistic infections HPV
Next
How do I answer?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.