Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Long-term progressor or not

Hello Doctor Feinberg, many thanks for your useful, encouraging answer (just tested/bone aches). I was just wondering if one can tell with certainty (if there's such thing as certainty in this viral disease) from now if I'm going to be a long term non progressor or it's just too early to venture into such a statement. I remind you that I was HIV- in June 2001, then I was tested poz 4 weeks ago, cd4's at 621, viral load <400, acute phase over and mononucleosis few months ago in my doc's opinion. Also caught flu in mid-January (is it related?). Cheers.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

By definition, a long-term non-progressor has to have had documented HIV infection with normal CD4 cell counts and undetectable viral loads for a period of years before it is clear that the individual really has non-progressive disease. Your start certainly is promising, but it's too soon to tell. It would also be useful to know that your viral load is undetectable by the bDNA (branched-chain DNA) test as well as by the more commonly used PCR test, because bDNA will pick up detectable viral load for some strains of HIV that PCR will not.

False test results from St John's wort?
Opportunistic infections HPV