Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Long-term progressor or not
Mar 25, 2002

Hello Doctor Feinberg, many thanks for your useful, encouraging answer (just tested/bone aches). I was just wondering if one can tell with certainty (if there's such thing as certainty in this viral disease) from now if I'm going to be a long term non progressor or it's just too early to venture into such a statement. I remind you that I was HIV- in June 2001, then I was tested poz 4 weeks ago, cd4's at 621, viral load <400, acute phase over and mononucleosis few months ago in my doc's opinion. Also caught flu in mid-January (is it related?). Cheers.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

By definition, a long-term non-progressor has to have had documented HIV infection with normal CD4 cell counts and undetectable viral loads for a period of years before it is clear that the individual really has non-progressive disease. Your start certainly is promising, but it's too soon to tell. It would also be useful to know that your viral load is undetectable by the bDNA (branched-chain DNA) test as well as by the more commonly used PCR test, because bDNA will pick up detectable viral load for some strains of HIV that PCR will not.

Previous
False test results from St John's wort?
Next
Opportunistic infections HPV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.