Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

vertical transmission
Mar 23, 2002

My kid at the age of 3 months taken PCR ql test stating 'detected'(out of range) & not detected within range. I have taken all steps to prevent vertical transmission i.e cesarian+stopped breast feeding+with combination therapy+post AZT syrup to kid. Now kid's age is 3 yrs,not showing any hiv indications i.e growing well etc. My doctor told me once again undergo pcr test. How does a viral detection can be -ve if so would you explain this phenomena. what is the use of spending again on a test. I know elisa & westernblot can be -ve but not pcr. if he is +ve how long takes to exibit some symptoms. whether T-20 injections can be useful at an early stage of infection.

thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I am confused about what you were told when your child was 3 months old-- nevertheless, if he were to be tested again now he should get the standard HIV ELISA test, not a PCR. Frankly, the odds of a child being HIV+ who is growing normally and is healthy at 3 years of age are very very small, getting pretty close to zero.

Previous
Can they tell?
Next
Vaccination Typhoid

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.