Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

tired of shingles

In November I had my first boat of shingles. It was a nightmare, because I didn't go on medicine until 7 days later. In February it came back, but I started the medicine right away. After 10 days I went off the medicine, and it came back agin ! Currently I am on (4) 800mg of acyclovir. I plain on weeniing myself off it.

My question is related to- what if I get pregnant. My partner and I are planning to have a baby in the next year. Is shingles dangerous during pregnancy. What about the medicine- acyclovir, and if I take the medicine to stop the progession-Is that safe?

I have been undetectable for 6 years with high t-cells. I'm worried that during my pregnacy something might happen. Thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Don't wean yourself off the acyclovir until your doctor thinks it's wise to do so. While 10 days is what most people need, you may need to be on medication longer than that. You wantto avoid getting shingles again while you're pregnant, especially in the first trimester If you must do so, you can safely take a preventive dose of acyclovir while you're pregnant, because it has been used extensively and is safe. It is highly unlikely that you have acyclovir-resistant shingles because the total amount of treatment you've had is small and resistance is related to extensive drug exposure.

what is ars..
fluid in my breasts(hiv positive)