Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

RE: oral sex (march 15)

Dr. F

Why do you say the only difference in risk for insertive and receptive only applies to anal and not oral. From what I have read on this site and the hopkins site there is a huge difference in risk for the two people that participate in oral sex and that the person that has the oral sex performed on them is not at any real risk for infection just theoretical. I have also been told by my doctor that being on the recieving end carries about the same risk as kissing so there is no real risk but if I am the one doing the performing there is a real risk and there are documented cases of people being infected this way. Is my doctor wrong ?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't understand your question-- I think you may have misinterpreted what I was saying about the difference in rsik between insertive and receptive anal sex. There IS a huge difference in risk between oral and anal sex, with the latter having demonstrated high risk and the former having much less risk (although one cannot say that the risk of oral sex is non-existent). Your doctor isn't wrong.

Longterm prognosis after pcp relapse
drug effect/hiv