Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just tested/Bone ache
Mar 17, 2002

Hi there from Italy and thanks a lot for all the care and competence you're giving us. Two weeks and a half ago I was tested HIV+; the results that came through today tell me that my viral load is <400 and CD4's are at 621. The doctor told me to my great surprise that the acute phase was already over and that I also unknowingly caught mononucleosis. How can it have happened seeing as I tested negative in June 2001? Apart from that that can be a secondary question, the main one is that my knees have hurt for about 5/6 days: do you think it's just stress or is there such things as bone infections?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't think your bone aches are driectly related to your HIV infection. Possibe explanations for your having an undetectable vital load without any treatment include: 1) you may be fortunate and are a long-term non-progressor; 2) you were infected with a strain that is not measured by the PCR viral load test. Ask your doctor to do a "bDNA" (branched chain DNA) viral load test. On the basis of what you've written, I don't see how your doctor can say that you also have mononucleosis. Acute HIV causes a mononucleosis-type syndrome, so there is either missing information or an incorrect diagnosis as far as that goes. Ask your doctor if you have a ppositive test for mono itself.

Previous
Oral Sex -The difference between insertive and receptive
Next
New debate?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.