Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

toolate:(

Hi, my uncle died from PML a while back, it only took 5 months to kill him and it took away all his motor functions. All the way from talking to being able to swallow. My question is what are the statistics for survival compared to 5 years ago, when he died? Also do you know how many people(approximately)each year are infected with the PML virus? Thankyou for the info if you know it, but if you don't know the answers thankyou for your time anyway.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There is no easy way to know how many people are infected with the JC virs that causes PML because there is no blood test to determine this. I would guess that infection rates have not changed all that much, but survival for peole with AIDS in general, including those with PML, are vastly improved now that there are effective drug combinations to control the growth of HIV. Again, exact numbers are hard to come by, but there has been a dramatic change in overall survival rates. Thank God for clinical research!

Mycobacterium tuberculosis
exposure to tb