Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

PCR TEST

Dear Dr. Feinberg, After a risk practice (oral sex without protection) 50 days ago, I did an ELISA and PCR tests. Both came back negative. At the clinic, they told me that the PCR test is conclusive even at this stage of 50 days. Do you agree with this or do you think I must get retested sometime in the future? Please answer, because I am worried and would like to know your point of view. Thanks and best regards

Response from Dr. Feinberg

PCR tests are not the right approach to diagnose whether someone has HIV or not. The HIV viral load (PCR) test is not licensed by the FDA for diagnosis of HIV infection. False positives are possible. Stick with the ELISA/Western blot.

TG woman with cognitive problems
Toxo/PML-which is it?