Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

abnormal pap/vaginitis

i have been reading some of the opportunistic women related infection forums and I am getting scared. I have had an abnormal pap and have been referred to have a colopospy done. When I went it was normal from what the doctor could see, yet she still took a biopsy of tissue. I have had recurring bacterial infections (bacterial vaginitis)each time I have went to the doctor. I am concerned and scared since I read that vaginitis that is persistant can be a symptom of hiv in women.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Abnormal Pap smears and vaginitis are common gynecologic problems for all women, HIV+ and HIV-, so you can't assume that these problems are due to HIV. Nonetheless, if you're concerned about HIV, you should get tested; it's the only way to know for sure.

Oral Manifest
Lost for words