Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried about past bronchoscopy
Mar 9, 2002

I just heard about a recall on defective bronchoscopes that have caused cases of pseudomonas aeruginosa. I had a bronchoscopy to detect PCP this past summer. It was treated successfully, but I've had continuing tightness in my chest and some dry coughing. Is it possible this could be from a residual infection caused by the bronchoscope? Or, if I was infected, would I have gotten very sick right after the procedure? I'm hoping you might know about pseudomonas symptoms, in case I should follow this up. I'm not sure if this hospital used the defective instrument or not, but I can try to find out. Thanks for any help.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If you had developed a Pseudomonas infection from a defective bronchoscope, you would be sick with fever, purulent sputum, etc. Pseudomonas pneumonia is not a silent infection. The fact that your exposure was last summer makes it almost impossible that you have had an untreated Pseudomonas infection since then.

Previous
TB question
Next
cervical cancer in women

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.