Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Flu vaccine with low CD4?

My doc doesn't want to give me a flu vaccine with CD4 always coming back less than 20, VL 450,000. Wouldn't it be worse to get the flu, especially if it's a virulent strain this year? Would you recommend the flu shot? Thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The flu shot can cause a temporary increase in viral load that usually returns to baseline within 4-6 weeks after the shot. Other than a possibly temporary increase in viral load, I don't see how a flu shot can hurt you. The lower your CD4 cell count, the less likely you'll have a great response to this or any vaccine, but if it affords some protection, I would say it's worth it. We are at the close of the flu season soon, so this is probably more a matter that needs to be dealt with next year, when flu shots become available in the fall.

Lymphopenia
oral sex