Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

BACTRIUM,WHEN SAFE TO STOP?

i have been on bactrium since 4/99 when i was first diagnosed. at that time my VL was 400,000, and my t-cells were 12. i was given the vaccination for PCP, and a flu shot. since 6/99 my VL has been undetectable and my t-cells are now 200 and on the rise. my question is, is it safe to stop taking the bactrium now? i'm seeing my dr. 5/9 and want to ask her. what's your opinion?

thanks,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The safest thing to do is to stop after your T cells have been above 200 for at least 3 months (some experts say 6 months), although others have successfully stopped it earlier than that.

PML
Is constant sinus drainage harmful to the stomach?