Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Unresolved eye problem....

I would like to know if there is an opportunistic eye infection which could slowly destroy your retina without leaving any scar tissue? The reason why I'm asking this is because something is going on with my eyes and my opthamologist, who is a specialist in hiv eye disease, doesn't really have any idea. It's been simply labelled HIV retinopathy. For more background information,my present cell count is between 300 and 400 and my viral load is undetectable. I'm also toxo negative....thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't know of any other OI that slowly destroys retinal tissue without scarring. There is an entity caller Acute Retinal Necrosis (ARN) that destroys the retina and typically occurs at T cells counts similar to yours, but this is a fast-moving disease thought to be associated with Varicella zoster (the chicken pox/shingles virus), although it usually does not respond to anti-zoster drugs. If your eye doctor hasn't figured this out, it's time for you to get a second opinion. Good luck!

vomiting?
Pulmonary Embolism(s) & DVT Part of HIV Infection??