Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Leading Causes

I presented a lecture on AIDS awareness and prevention to a middle school. While I was there, the professor asked me what the leading cause of death was in AIDS patients. I told him that I did not have an answer, but that I'd try to get one for him. I have a list of AIDS-defining opportunistic diseases in people with HIV, but I was wondering if you knew which ones were the leading causes of death. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The leading causes of death have changed markedly in the last several years. I think wasting syndrome has become increasingly more common. You can check what the Centers of Disease Control have to say about this at cdc.gov.

do i got cancer
vomiting?