Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

naive cells and infections

I read on The Body that you should remember your lowest CD4 to find out your chances of getting certain infections.

Somewhere else they say that it is 'possible'...

Are they sure yet that this is true?

Also, is there a list that states which infections your most likely to get at what CD4 level, and which not ??

Just for the information: I have just been treated twice for TBC (first time I was stupid enough not to be faithful to the therapy), I have started over a month ago on a Norvir, Crixivan, Combivir cocktail and use co-trimaxol for PCP prevention. 2 months ago my CD4 was 150 and my VL around a million. I guess it is very hard to say what I can expect for the future at this state. Little side-effects (itchy/dry skin and some little pimps that look and feel very much like bites from a mini-flee...).

My personal guess/hope is that the skinproblem comes from increasing cd4 at high rate... I might be lucky :-)

Thanks,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The itchy/dry skin could be from the indinavir (Crixivan), and the little bumps could be folliculitis -- check this out with your doctor. The CD4 cell thresholds for different OIs can be found in the US Public Health Service Guidelines for OI Prophylaxis and Treatment, which should be accessible from the Centers for Disease Control's website: www.cdc.gov. These CD4 cell thresholds are well established, although there are always unusual exceptions to every rule, especially in medicine. Stick with your Tb and HIV treatment -- it's worth it, and you won't regret it.

MAC and very low T-cell, no where to turn
Interpreting the Test Result