Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

naive cells and infections
Dec 15, 2000

I read on The Body that you should remember your lowest CD4 to find out your chances of getting certain infections.

Somewhere else they say that it is 'possible'...

Are they sure yet that this is true?

Also, is there a list that states which infections your most likely to get at what CD4 level, and which not ??

Just for the information: I have just been treated twice for TBC (first time I was stupid enough not to be faithful to the therapy), I have started over a month ago on a Norvir, Crixivan, Combivir cocktail and use co-trimaxol for PCP prevention. 2 months ago my CD4 was 150 and my VL around a million. I guess it is very hard to say what I can expect for the future at this state. Little side-effects (itchy/dry skin and some little pimps that look and feel very much like bites from a mini-flee...).

My personal guess/hope is that the skinproblem comes from increasing cd4 at high rate... I might be lucky :-)

Thanks,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The itchy/dry skin could be from the indinavir (Crixivan), and the little bumps could be folliculitis -- check this out with your doctor. The CD4 cell thresholds for different OIs can be found in the US Public Health Service Guidelines for OI Prophylaxis and Treatment, which should be accessible from the Centers for Disease Control's website: www.cdc.gov. These CD4 cell thresholds are well established, although there are always unusual exceptions to every rule, especially in medicine. Stick with your Tb and HIV treatment -- it's worth it, and you won't regret it.

Previous
MAC and very low T-cell, no where to turn
Next
Interpreting the Test Result

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.