Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very Slow Recovery With PML
Dec 15, 2000

Dr. Feinberg,

I really don't have a question but wanted to update you on my brother.

I wrote to you Aug 16 (PML - What's the next step). I asked about my brother getting therapy and if you thought it would help. Since then, I hired a physical therapist to come in but could only afford to pay for 5 sessions. He was doing well with the therapist but since she left he is not interested in using his walker. I feel he does not trust me enough to be able to catch him if he were to lose his balance. His cd4 count is now up to 176 and viral load still undetectable so his medication is still working. I am bound and determined to get him walking again so I ordered parallel bars - maybe he will feel more comfortable with them. I expect the parallel bars to be in any day now. I talked to the therapist that was coming in and she feels this is a good idea.

He has started to practice his handwriting again. He didn't do too bad for not picking up a pen in 13 months. He also uses the computer now to email his friends and coworkers in NYC.

I know my brother has a long way to go yet but he has also come along way in the past year since he was first diagnosed. Do you think I am getting my hopes up too high on him being able to do more than what he is doing now? Your site has been very helpful to me in the past year and I appreciate all the info you have been able to give me.

Thanks for being here.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Thank you very much for the update on your brother. It sounds like he's really made some progress. It must be gratifying to you both that he can communicate by email and that he's starting to write again. I think the parallel bars are a great idea. I don't have a crystal ball, so there's no way to predict how far he will come and in what timeframe. I've seen other patients whose recovery is slow but steady, but no one yet who has recovered fully to their pre-PML self. I'm thrilled that he's done as well as he has and all I can say is don't give up on him.

I think you are a terrific sister, by the way.

Previous
KS
Next
PML Support Group

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.