Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KS
Dec 18, 2000

I have a female friend who was recently diagnosed with KS. Everything that I have found refers to AIDS/HIV. Is it possible to have KS and be HIV negative? She has never been tested for HIV or AIDS as far as I know. Her doctor has advised cancer treatment. Can you tell me anything else?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

KS is most commonly associated with HIV, so she should be tested for HIV as soon as possible. It is possible to get KS without having HIV, but this occurs primarily in older men with Mediterranean area ancestry and gay men who are HIV-, since the virus that causes KS (called HHV8 for human herpes virus type 8) can be acquired sexually. Actually, KS is quite unusual in women, even those with HIV. Before she agrees to chemotherapy, she should get an HIV test and strongly consider a combination of HIV medications (the "cocktail"), because KS has resolved in some people with treatment of the HIV alone when it only affects the skin. There are forms of KS which can affect deeper organs, such as the lung, and this probably requires chemotherapy in addition to the HIV meds.

Testing for HIV is crucial, because if she's HIV+ she should receive her HIV care from someone expert in this field. Some experts have been trained in oncology (cancer) and would be capable of administering the chemotherapy if it's needed, or an HIV expert could work together with an oncologist to coordinate her care.

Previous
White matter brain lesions
Next
Very Slow Recovery With PML

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.