The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What now?
Dec 19, 2000

Very short history description:

Diagnosed: 1985

Started treatment 87: AZT until 92 aprox. Revisions every three months, only twice had 450 defenses, all the rest + 500/600.

92: started combined with epivir. Always +600/700

Don´t know exactly when started 3 combined treatments, always +600/700/800

Came out viral charge: always active less 6000 generally, and took Sustiva, Crixivan, Ziagen (did not tolerate) but after six months taking any treatment again viral charge + 5000 - 11000, still defenses +800

Tried videx and Hydrea as last resort before going into protease again (DO NOT WANT TO HAVE LIPODISTROPHY), first results 1900 viral charge, 1160 defenses (29%), second results a week ago 800 cd4 (25%) but 31000 viral charge (it scares me - it is the first time).

My question: what should I do?? Should I take a protease inh. although I really don´t want to, but I also don´t want to deteriorate, or could I try Sustiva f.example again for a while although it did not work as I had 5100 viral charge after six months taking it? until other treatments come out?

Thank you for your attention

Response from Dr. Feinberg

My guess is that you're resistant to 3TC (Epivir), AZT and efavirenz (Sustiva), and probably also ddI (Videx). I think your choices now are: one or more protease inhibitors plus d4T (Zerit), or wait until you have some more options, like tenofovir and T-20. Your current T cells and viral load are not that high and you could wait it out without being in immediate danger.

infectious mononucleosis
White matter brain lesions

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint