Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Intense stomach pressure/bloating

I have had intense pressure in my stomach. It feels like air is trapped inside and cannot come out. It feels better when I burp and pass gas, however, this does not alleviate the problem. The pressure is intense, I can't even bend over or do sit ups like I used to. I don't think it is fat redistribution, however, I have noticed that my face has gotten thinner, also over the past couple weeks. I have always had stomach problems, but now with this it is getting to a point that I can't tolerate. I am taking Viracept, Combivir and Ziagen, though I did have some mild pressure/bloating when I was off this combo for three months earlier this year. Diarrhea is not a problem, have it once in a while. So, what can I do? I have made an appointment with a G.I. for next month, but if it gets unbearable I plan to go to the E.R. The pressure I feel is below my belly button and above my groin area. Please help.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I recommend that you keep the appointment you have with the GI specialist. In the meantime, you could try some over the counter medications, like antacid that says it will also relieve gas, and see if that helps. I can't tell exactly what you have from your description, but it warrants looking into.

headache
what is a free virus