Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Liver damage from AIDS drug cocktail

I have been positive for more than 10 years now. Been treated with quite a few of the drug cocktails. The most recent are Videx, Viramune and Zerit. Last visit to specialist, was told that the drugs are causing liver damage and I need to change to try to reduce the problems. Viramune was singled out as the most likely suspect. A switch to Sustiva was not tolerated well and now the dr want to try switching to Rescriptor. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help this? I am trying changes to diet, but anything else I can do?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do to keep your liver healthy is to stop the offending drug and avoid other liver toxins such as alcohol. With time, your liver should improve if you do not restart the drug(s) that caused it. While nevirapine (Viramune) is the likely culprit, liver damage has been reported with nucleoside analogs like d4T (Zerit) as well.

primary multifocal lesions
Rotator cuff injury or Hiv Neuropathy