Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

primary multifocal lesions

can you explain what primary multifocal lesions are, what is the prognosis, treatment, if any?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I think you must mean PML -- progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. This is a brain disease caused by the JC virus. There are no proven specific treatments, although some people improve markedly when their immune system gets stronger, as happens when AIDS patients take potent combination treatment for HIV. Some individuals have been reported to respond to interferon and some to cidofovir, a drug approved form CMV retinitis. The name gives you the prognosis: it is progressive, meaning that in the vast majority of patients the disease will continue to worsen and eventually lead to death.

SHOULD I BE
Liver damage from AIDS drug cocktail