Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Please Clarify????

Dr. Feinberg -

Is Reiter's Syndrome an opportunistic infection?? Or does it indicate probable HIV infection??? I was diagnosed with Reiter's following a chlamydial infection. Due to several clinical symptoms (nodes, joint pain, fatigue, oral ulcers, etc.), doctor ordered serial HIV testing through 6 months - ended with negative ELISA and DNA PCR at 6 months. However, in my readings on Reiter's, I saw a document that stated that Reiter's could delay the clinical evidence of HIV infection for up to two years (document at HIVinsite). Does this make sense?? Is it possible that my tests have not been accurate? Thank you for your assistance.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Reiter's syndrome is not an OI, but is connected to prior chlamydia infection in certain vulnerable individuals. I know of no data that support the idea that having Reiter's syndrome will delay the development of a positive HIV test.

Lymphopenia always diagnostic...Part2
Doctor's Baffled By Breathing Problems