The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another question please ?
Dec 28, 2000

This is the loving sister of 11-27-00. My brother now has MAC, and has not been able to handle the antibiotics so his doctor suggested just try his hardest to keep the anti-virals, etc. down. Still spikes fevers close to 105 and has since developed a severe hemorrhoid that prevents him from wanting to digest any solid food, even caused urination problems. Why won't his doctor aggressively address the hemorrhoid w/surgery?? Too much of a risk?? Is this a major sign of liver disease taking hold?? I truly appreciate your help and support. Thank you!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Hemorrhoids, which are just swollen veins, can certainly be treated with medicine and if they don't respond, then surgery is a reasonable option. He should be taking "sitz" baths in warm water for 15 minutes at least once a day and be using prescription-strength hemorrhoidal suppositories. None of this has anything to do with liver disease.

About his MAC: there are a number of options for treatment and it would be very valuable for him to keep trying different medicines so that his fever will be better controlled and he will be more comfortable. While controlling his HIV is also useful, it is important to treat the MAC specifically. If his doctor hasn't suggested any of the above, then perhaps he might want to look for someone who will be more aggressive. It would be worth it, I think. Good luck!

Head sweat
Test rates and differences in them

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint