Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

advice

Someone has given me a kitten. The vet has said it is not a good idea. Apparently they are more likely to have parasites when they are small. It scratches and bites and that worries me.

Any suggestions.

HIV+ for 16yrs and often unwell.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The biggest problem with kittens is that they can harbor a parasite called toxoplasmosis, which can cause brain infection in HIV+s. The bites and scratches could result in bacterial skin infection, but not anything that is typically associated with HIV/AIDS. How about trading your kitten for a grown cat or a dog, if you want the companionship of a pet?

m.avium positive, no symptoms
influenza vaccine?