Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

m.avium positive, no symptoms
Jan 9, 2001

Seven years ago,my husband had a t.b. skin test that was reactive.He submitted a sputum culture that was analyzed and the result being m.avium. He was tested for HIV around the same time with the result being negative. 9 months ago during a check for life insurance, he was positive for hep c. I was tested and am also positive.he's had his biopsy and is now on combo therapy, rebetron. I haven't had my biopsy yet but dont want to go on treatment.o.k., back to the m.avium.recently I've been trying to find out more about this infection. He doesn't have, and hasn't had any of the symptoms most commonly found. My question is- if m. avium has been detected and you have had no treatment for it, is it still in your body? I'm thinking it could have even caused the hepatitis. His genotype is 2, which from what i've read is not as common as most.we are both 40 years old with 3 children.he told his gastroenteroligist about the mac but he didn't give it much notice,didn't really say anything about it.should he be tested again for m.avium or hiv and should he be on meds for the m.avium? thank you very much in advance for your help.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If your husband has no respiratory symptoms, then you can ignore the M. avium. Is he a smoker? M. avium is usually recovered from people whose lungs have been damaged by something else. M. avium has nothing to do with hepatitis C-- they are caused by entirely different germs: one is a bacterium (M. avium) and the other is a virus (hep C). Unless he's had a risky exposure in the last 7 years, I don't think retesting for HIV is necessary.

Previous
My childs illness
Next
advice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.