Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Fungal infections

Dr. I get conflicting answers on this question: How far along into HIV infection (if left untreated), would one develop thrush or skin fungal infection? Response from the hotlines say:"that is an opportunistic infection, and that won't take place until after 5 years". Others say longer, and still some say right away. Could you please clear this up?

Thank you

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There is no one correct answer, in part because even HIV- people can get fungal infections, especially involving the skin and nails. While thrush is a sign of immune deficiency in adults, it is not an AIDS-defining illness, and that may be yet another source of confusion: it's associated with the immune dysfunction caused by HIV, but doesn't constitute "AIDS", which happens after many years of HIV infection. I hope that clears up the confusion. Write back if it doesn't.

TestedAtTwoMonths
My childs illness