Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is stopping therapie a good Idea
Jan 16, 2001

Dear Doctor,

i am very happy that I dont have to bother you with some more of the serious problems associate with HIV. I was infected in 1996 and diagnosed with HIV infection in 1998. My numbers where then VL 55000 and T4 465. I have been on combination treatment ever since very religiously. My latest numbers where VL below 50 and T4 over 1000. I never had really any health problems so far. My appetit has been lousy for a while but this resolved itself by getting some testosterone shots. The only thing which has been bothering me are some bodily changes like thinning of face and loss of buttock. I switched d4t and 3tc to combivir(AZT) about 2 months ago. My question to you is this. Would it be reasonable with my numbers to stop therapie completely for about a year or would I loose my benefits regarding health in the future once starting again. Also could i expect my cd4 counts to go up again to the range where I am now. Your expertise would be appreciated. It is a very difficult decision to make but i also feel my body needs some rest from all the toxic medicine. thanks you very much

NY

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are ongoing studies of people like you whose virus is well-controlled and who have had a good T cell response to therapy, to see if these benefits can be maintained if therapy is stopped and then restarted. So far the data are iffy. For most people, viral load goes up when the medicines are stopped, and if resistance has not developed, will fall again when medicine is restarted. No one knows yet what the long-term effects of such a strategy are. In my experience, if you stop all your medications and then restart at some point before your viral load and T cell results are worrisome, you are likely to regain full suppression of your virus and will have a T cell response as well. But I cannot tell you whether your T cells will increase to 1000 again.

Previous
nematodes
Next
Does KS always spread?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.