Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

After 3 months neg. But symptoms scare me.

Hi my name is John. I have many symptoms such as night sweats, slightly swollen lymphoid through entire body. Quite significant under my tongue/lower jaw and back of my leg. A slight thrush on both sides of my mouth (soft tissue of the cheeks) About a month ago my legs and arms were extremely tired, would feel fatigue in muscle from just changing my clothes. It is not so bad now. I have dry flaky skin since about a month ago. I have had a dry cough since the onset of when my believed primary infection took place. I had a flu, sore throat, fever, and chills four days after exposure to a sexual experience which i have no way of knowing if they were hiv pos. or neg. A one night stand which ill never forget. I have had an hiv Elisa standard test every month for three months. Even after 10 weeks i requested my doctor do a more thorough test. He sent me to an Hiv specialist. The doctor said i do have oral thrush slightly. can be do to anti biotics (which i wasn't on.) He ordered an expensive test that tested for the actual hiv virus in the blood. Costed 275.00 for this test but i was sure it would find it. Nothing came up. no detectable virus was the result. He even did other test for any type of viruses in my system. nothing. A SED count of .5 whatever that means. I recently have had my 4 month test and am a waiting the results which wouldn't surprise me what the results would be. The only surpising detail to me would be if my test result was pos and why then wouldn't it show up on the expensive test. My other question for you is the last couple of weeks i have felt tingling in my face, my hands, and my feet. The last 3nights both my hands keep going numb after a couple hours of sleep. It happens all through the night. Know matter how i sleep they still go numb. And then when i am up they continue to tingle. I have bouts of anxiety that are not due to me feeling worried over this they just spring up anytime even when i not thinking of this disease, like watching tv or reading the paper. What is going on with me? Why can't i find anything out? Is my numb and tingling hands and anxiety due to some OI or what? I can't get any answers from doctors cause i still come up hiv neg. I also thought my cough was possibly TB which i may have caught over in Kuwait this summer. I had a skin test one month ago came back neg. Chest x-ray one week ago still nothing was found. I am mainly worried if i do have this virus what these symptoms could be the result of. Thanks and i hope you answer my questions.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It is pretty conclusive to have negative antibody tests after 3 months as well as a negative viral load test (HIV RNA PCR, which is probably what cost you all that money). Your symptoms are pretty non-specific and do not necessarily point to HIV. The numbness and tingling could just be due to nerve compression as you sleep, or to anxiety, or to exposure to a nerve toxin. No OI causes these symptoms. If they persist, you can be checked by your doctor for other causes, such a heavy metal poisoning. Since I don't know what you were doing in Kuwait, I have no idea if you may have had some occupational exposure.

HOW AT RISK AM I ?
I have developed TB as a result of being HIV +