Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HOW AT RISK AM I ?

Dear Judith, I am a registered nurse working in an acute medical ward I regularly come in contact with TB, Meningitis, severe diarrhea and vomiting just to name a few. although i am strict with hand washing etc this doesn't necessarily protect me from airborne viruses...how at risk am I? occupational health are informed of my status and my last T-cell count was 5....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated regards

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There is no way I can give you a quantitative risk estimate, but with only 5 T cells you are certainly at risk from contagious as well as opportunistic diseases. I hope you are able to avail yourself of anti-HIV therapy to improve your immune status, and at a minimum I hope you are able to take cotrimoxazole to prevent PCP and toxoplasmosis, that you are tested annually for PPD status and have a chest X-ray, and that you receive annual vaccination against influenza. The safest thing for you to do is to practise nursing in a less risky environment, such as a chronic care facility, rather than in the acute care setting where you may be more likely to come into contact with illnesses that are highly contagious. Good luck!

Dry pealing skin on outter nose. Wher nose meets face.
After 3 months neg. But symptoms scare me.