Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hints of HIV in a CBC
Jan 16, 2001

I have been homosexually active (safer sex) for about 15 years but have never been tested for HIV. Recently I developed shingles on the face associated with painless swollen lymph nodes in the armpits. A CBC returned normal parameters. In these circumstances, would a standard CBC give at least some hint of lowered resistance due to HIV infection? Does a normal CBC measure T-cells and, particularly, CD4+ counts?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

A CBC does not measure T cells, including T helper cells (CD4+ cells) -- you need a lymphocyte subsets blood test for that. Often, people with HIV will be somewhat anemic, with lower than normal total white blood cell and total lymphocyte counts. But I wouldn't count on the absence of these vague and non-specific findings for reassurance that you are HIV-. Bite the bullet and get tested -- it sounds to me like it's time you knew, one way or the other. Good luck!

Previous
Mouth numbness
Next
If Possible, Shouldn't Doctors Help In Minimizing Depression?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.