Jan 18, 2001
My friend has told me that she has had a strange rash appear. It started on her buttocks then spread to her thigh and genital area. The rash was very painful at first and she ran a slight fever. It then itched her. She was told by a doctor in Saigon that it was a condition called "zona" but it left some scars. She also said that with this she started experiencing some joint discomfort in her ankle. Have you ever heard of this condition?
Response from Dr. Feinberg
I have not heard that term before, but it sounds like a herpesvirus infection -- it could be either herpes simplex (causing genital herpes) or varicella zoster (causing shingles). I think the ankle discomfort is most likely something else.
- Will Shingles Occur On Both Sides Of The Face?
- Will Hpv Genital Wart Be Detected In A Pap Smear?
- What Does Herpes Look Like Around Your Eye?
- What Are The Long And Short Term Problems With Genital Warts?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Or Warts From A Safe Exposure With A Prostitute?
- Can You Get Vaginosis From A Latex Condom?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.