Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I bet you are tired of lymph node questions
Feb 23, 2002

You must get asked hundreds of "lymph node" questions a week...... But, will you please try to answer--I can't find a question/response in the forum that helps?

1.) Is it true that swollen nodes due to HIV infection are usually apparent in MULTIPLE sites in the body due to the fact that HIV infects the whole body not just the neck or the groin or the armpits?

2.) Are there lymph nodes located directly on both sides of the trachea in between the trachea and the neck muscle?

3.) Over the course of HIV infection would swollen nodes be noticed in several parts of the body or just in one place?

4.) Have you ever seen someone have a negative ELISA at 8 weeks and then turn positive afterwards(due to the same exposure of course)?

I appreciate all that you are trying to do for people at THE BODY!!!! THANX------

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I DO get tired of lymph node questions, because swelling of lymph nodes is such a generalized, non-specific reaction of the body to a wide range of insults, and people wnat to make much more out of them than is warranted. That said, here are your answers:

1. Lymph node swelling is often generalized, but doesn't have to be, at least in locations that an examiner can reach. So there is no "magic" pattern of swelling that indicates HIV or anything else, for that matter.

2. There are mudreds and hundreds of lymph nodes all over the body, including the deep inner areas along the trachea and bronchi.

3. See answer to #1 above.

4. No, I haven't, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Previous
lymphocitic pneumonia versus PCP
Next
Alcoholism and thrush

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.