Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

lymphocitic pneumonia versus PCP

After 2 months of un-productive cough with no fever, no weight loss, no hypoxia and cd4>500 I decided to make a chest radiogram. The radiologist saw in it something wrong and asked me to obtain a CT scan of the chest. Result: diffuse interstitial pneumonia. I am starting today Claritromicin 500 mg bid for 5 days. Do you think this could be interstitial lymphocitic pneumonia and what do you think of this empriric farmacologic approach? I have a control X rays in 6 days.Sincerely from Italy.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

This is more likely to be a diffuse lymphocytic pneumonia or some other disease process than PCP, given your high CD4 cell count. PCP is very rare-- although not impossible-- at CD4 cell counts above 200, and the higher the CD4 cell count, the less likely it is to be PCP.

How do I determine if it's an emergency?
I bet you are tired of lymph node questions