Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

SWOLLEN GLANDS

HELLO DOCTOR,

I WAS DIAGNOSED APRIL 2000. MY VL 12,000 AND CD4 OF 896 IN APRIL. IN SEPTEMBER VL 24,000 AND CD4 756. STILL NO MEDS AS PER MY DOCTOR. I NOTICED SEVERAL MONTHS BACK SWOLLEN GLANDS UNDER MY JAW. THEN I NOTICED 1 BEHIND MY EAR, AND NOW SEVERAL IN NECK AREA. SOME ARE PAINFUL. MY DOC SAYS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

No -- lymph nodes wax and wane throughout the course of HIV disease. But you might want to reconsider starting HIV therapy -- there are data that suggest that the earlier after infection therapy is started, the better the preservation of your immune system.

What Causes Fluid on the Lungs?
Fungus infection of the outer ear.