Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

prognosis

Dr Feinberg;

I was diagnosed in April 2000 with aids.Tested neg a year prior.My numbers where T cells 234,Vl 5000 %8.Start meds june numbers T cells 221,Vl 26000 % 8.Between april and june had a severe shingles outbreak.meds Vircept,ziagen and epivir.After 2 months due to diarrhea change to Viramune/sustiva/ziagen and epivir.Last set of numbers T cell 189 VBl undetectable %12.AT that time I was finally diagnosed with advance NHL,the oncologist said He Estimates that I'd had the Lymphoma at 6 months.My question is what is my prognosis now, no one will give me a clear answer.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

NHL is treatable, and approximately 30-40% in the pre-HAART era would go into complete remission. I'd guess that the odds of response are even higher with immune system recovery as a result of HAART. Ask your doctor about using a new drug, lopinavir/r, instead of the Viramune -- I think that's a more potent regimen, and you need all the effectiveness against HIV that you can get. Good luck!

floaters
Anal Infection