Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

bell's palsy

Dear Dr: Two years ago now, I suffered a complete paralysis of the left side of my face a few weeks after being diagnosed with HIV...my infectious disease doctor said he felt it was an OI...and it has since gotten better, but there is still marked drooping to the left side of my mouth and my left eye. What, if anything can be done?? Is it a true OI?? And I have had bad hepatitis and other complications in these first two years which I had hoped would be symptom free....thanks for any help andadvace you might have!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Bell's palsy is not an HIV-associated OI; in your case, it was just coincidental that you also had HIV, as HIV- people get Bell's palsy all the time. Once the facial nerve is damaged, it may recover slowly, but unfortunately there is no guarantee that it will recover completely. I'd guess that you may have seen most of the recovery you'll experience, since this happened 2 years ago.

Palpable lymph nodes
CMV culture/DNA reliability and HIV infection