Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Is This Normal ?

Hello Doctor,

I was wondering if it were normal to present with small cervical lymph nodes in the sides of the neck that are probably about 1/2 centimeter in diameter, have not grown, mobile, and non-tender in the first year of HIV infection. I have read that lymph nodes that stay enlarged longer than 3 months is considered an AIDS defining illness. Please give me more information about this.

Thank you and god bless.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It is "normal" for lymph nodes to swell and regress throughout the course of HIV disease. It is not true that peristently swollen nodes are an AIDS-defining condition.

white on the tongue
Safe point for stopping prophylaxis