Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

enlarged lymph node and burining,itching scalp

I have been + for 10 years, on and off treatment. Current VL 10,000, T cells 450. Recent lymph node enlargement of one by base of head ( left side)...it actually fluctuates in size from the time I wake in morning until later in day, decreasing as day progresses. What causes this?

Also, I have periodic outbreaks of burning, and severe scalp itching with flaking and hair loss when this occurs. I get some relief from OTC tar based shampoo but it is temporary. Can this dermatitis be caused by HIV? Any connection between the two problems here? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't know what is causing this lymph node to change in size over the course of the day because I don't know why the node is swollen to begin with. It is highly unlikely that a lymphoma would change size in this way, so that should be a relief. Most likely this is a node that is draining from some minor focus of inflammation, or it could also be a cyst and not a lymph node at all.

The scalp problem sounds like seborrhea, and should respond to prescription strength selenium shampoo, 2.5%. If you also get itchy, flaky areas around your nose, eyebrows etc, then you also have facial seborrhea which will respond nicely to a prescription strength steroid ointment.

Possibly these two problems are related if you have scratched your itchy scalp enough to cause a minor scalp infection. Otherwise, I can't see a connection, nor are these 2 problems directly caused by your HIV.

Are exophthalmos or Grave's disease HIV related?
KS Description