Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

enlarged lymph node and burining,itching scalp
Feb 20, 2002

I have been + for 10 years, on and off treatment. Current VL 10,000, T cells 450. Recent lymph node enlargement of one by base of head ( left side)...it actually fluctuates in size from the time I wake in morning until later in day, decreasing as day progresses. What causes this?

Also, I have periodic outbreaks of burning, and severe scalp itching with flaking and hair loss when this occurs. I get some relief from OTC tar based shampoo but it is temporary. Can this dermatitis be caused by HIV? Any connection between the two problems here? Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I don't know what is causing this lymph node to change in size over the course of the day because I don't know why the node is swollen to begin with. It is highly unlikely that a lymphoma would change size in this way, so that should be a relief. Most likely this is a node that is draining from some minor focus of inflammation, or it could also be a cyst and not a lymph node at all.

The scalp problem sounds like seborrhea, and should respond to prescription strength selenium shampoo, 2.5%. If you also get itchy, flaky areas around your nose, eyebrows etc, then you also have facial seborrhea which will respond nicely to a prescription strength steroid ointment.

Possibly these two problems are related if you have scratched your itchy scalp enough to cause a minor scalp infection. Otherwise, I can't see a connection, nor are these 2 problems directly caused by your HIV.

Previous
Are exophthalmos or Grave's disease HIV related?
Next
KS Description

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.