Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

RE: Tonsils

Hi Doc,

Sorry if it appears I'm wasting your time. It's not paranoia but a general question for which you rightly answered. Thank you.

I was reading a report from April 4th 1996, in which a group of researchers from Rockerfeller University and headed by Dr Steinman, were scrutinising possibilities of HIV replication in the throat. Notably the tonsils.

The report goes on to state that during the period 1986 - 1994, they examined the tonsils of 13 HIV -1 infected patients, all of which had a single enlarged tonsil removed.

I imagine that since HIV was found within the tonsil of 12 of the thirteen patients who agreed to be tested, that enlargement of the tonsil was the result of HIV.

I'd very much appreciate your response, and this was my reasoning for posting to you earlier about this subject. I do apologise for not disclosing the link at the time.

http://www.rockefeller.edu/pubinfo/HIV.nr.html

Response from Dr. Feinberg

All lymphoid tissue-- including tonsils-- is involved in HIV infection, if that's what you're asking. At a microscopic level you can find evidence of HIV in all kinds of lymphoid tissue. This may or may not be the cause of swelling of tonsils, for example, because there are several different kinds of germs that can infect tonsils besides HIV.

cmv co-infected
dont fail your family