Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: Tonsils
Feb 5, 2002

Hi Doc,

Sorry if it appears I'm wasting your time. It's not paranoia but a general question for which you rightly answered. Thank you.

I was reading a report from April 4th 1996, in which a group of researchers from Rockerfeller University and headed by Dr Steinman, were scrutinising possibilities of HIV replication in the throat. Notably the tonsils.

The report goes on to state that during the period 1986 - 1994, they examined the tonsils of 13 HIV -1 infected patients, all of which had a single enlarged tonsil removed.

I imagine that since HIV was found within the tonsil of 12 of the thirteen patients who agreed to be tested, that enlargement of the tonsil was the result of HIV.

I'd very much appreciate your response, and this was my reasoning for posting to you earlier about this subject. I do apologise for not disclosing the link at the time.

http://www.rockefeller.edu/pubinfo/HIV.nr.html

Response from Dr. Feinberg

All lymphoid tissue-- including tonsils-- is involved in HIV infection, if that's what you're asking. At a microscopic level you can find evidence of HIV in all kinds of lymphoid tissue. This may or may not be the cause of swelling of tonsils, for example, because there are several different kinds of germs that can infect tonsils besides HIV.

Previous
cmv co-infected
Next
dont fail your family

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.