Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

big legs

Dear Dr, after being HIV+ for about 6 years my lower legs became very big. I was told it could be due to lymphodenopathy or KS. They are still really large even though the rest of me is not. What is the reason?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The most common reason for swelling of the legs is due to lymph nodes in the groin that are enlarged and block the flow of the lymph fluid. The swollen nodes could be due to KS or to another disease of the lymp system, such as lymphoma. You should see a doctor who is experienced in HIV disease as soon as possible, so you can be appropriately evaluated to see what's going on. Good luck!

KS
Treponema pallidum