Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

both partners positive
Jan 26, 2002

Dear Doctor me and my partner are both HIV possible. I found out a year ago and he found out maybe 3 years ago but did not tell me.I have chosen to get back with him even tho I feel if he would have told me to be tested when he found out he was positive my numbers may be just as good as his. But my Question is do we have to pratice safe sex when we are together or would we be at risk of an infection from one another.

THANKS A LOT AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU................

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Years ago no one was concerned about safe sex between partners who remained faithful to one another. Butnow we know that each person's HIv evolves into "quasi-species" (different forms of the virus) even wwwhen they are not getting HIv therapy. You don't say whether either one of you is being treated for HIV, but the possibility of a person's HIV changing and becoming resistant as a result of inadequate treatment has changed the situation even more.

So now the better answer would be: Yes, you should practice safe sex. His HIV and your HIV are probably already different, even if one of you got HIV from the other person. And if/when you both get treated for your HIV, the shifts could be even more dramatic. You certainly would not want to get a drug-resistant strain from your partner, and he probably feels the same way.

Previous
histoplasmosis
Next
t-cells near 100 VL below 150

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.