Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

both partners positive

Dear Doctor me and my partner are both HIV possible. I found out a year ago and he found out maybe 3 years ago but did not tell me.I have chosen to get back with him even tho I feel if he would have told me to be tested when he found out he was positive my numbers may be just as good as his. But my Question is do we have to pratice safe sex when we are together or would we be at risk of an infection from one another.

THANKS A LOT AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU................

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Years ago no one was concerned about safe sex between partners who remained faithful to one another. Butnow we know that each person's HIv evolves into "quasi-species" (different forms of the virus) even wwwhen they are not getting HIv therapy. You don't say whether either one of you is being treated for HIV, but the possibility of a person's HIV changing and becoming resistant as a result of inadequate treatment has changed the situation even more.

So now the better answer would be: Yes, you should practice safe sex. His HIV and your HIV are probably already different, even if one of you got HIV from the other person. And if/when you both get treated for your HIV, the shifts could be even more dramatic. You certainly would not want to get a drug-resistant strain from your partner, and he probably feels the same way.

histoplasmosis
t-cells near 100 VL below 150