Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

thrush not treated

what problems can occur if thrush is not treated? I'm constantly challenged with thrush, even after I get treated with Difucan and Clotrimazole. Does it affect other systems in the body?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If thrush is not treated, it can extend into the esophagus and cause candida infection there. Candida esophagitis can be severe enough to make it difficult to swallow and can result in significant weight loss. One reason that your thrush keeps coming back is that you may not be getting effective therapy for your underlying HIV disease. If you start combination treatment for HIV, or change to different medicines if the current ones aren't working for you, then you may find that your thrush is much easier to control.

An alternative explanation is that you have received enough treatment for thrush that you have become resistant. This can be evaluated further by your doctor, if necessary.

Good luck!

I am allergic of Bactrim
Seriousness of Toxoplasmosis